Saturday, July 31, 2010

Re: cannot open display localhost:10.0 - Solved Yet?

0 comments
Hello:

'Me too'.

I am likely less knowledgeable than the OP, but I'm getting the same
error. My setup:

iSSH 4.3.2 on my iPad
Make a Shell connection over SSH to an Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS Server
installation (VM running in ESXi) that I recently installed Xfce
desktop packages on (GUI works fine on local console). I get text
login prompt as expected.
If I type startxfce4 I get this error: "/usr/bin/startxfce4: X server
already running on display localhost:10.0" and a bunch of other errors
also follow.

At first I thought this was because the machine booted to a GUI login
prompt, so I managed to get Ubuntu to just boot up to a text login
prompt by changing a setting in Grub2.

If I type xterm at the shell prompt (in iSSH) I get some different
errors; libxfcegui4-warning ICE I/O Error, then "disconnected from
session manager".

I chose Xfce because I thought it would run a little better than Gnome
with limited resources. Can you recommend a method for users (who are
perhaps new to X forwarding) to experience an X session on the iPad --
I certainly could have missed a critical setting in Ubuntu to make it
work. Basically I want to have the full desktop draw on the iPad with
iSSH as the window server. Is that possible?

Thanks.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "iSSH/iX11" group.
To post to this group, send email to issh@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to issh+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/issh?hl=en.

Comments

0 comments to "Re: cannot open display localhost:10.0 - Solved Yet?"

Post a Comment

 

Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner Converted into Blogger Template by Bloganol dot com